All Saints Church
The church in Findon Valley began in 1934, when the Bishop of Chichester gave permission for services to be held in a storeroom at the Highfield Dairy in Findon Road. At that time Findon valley was a rural area with very few houses, part of the Parish of St. John the Baptist, Findon. The small band of churchgoers then set about raising money for the building of a permanent church, on land purchased for ï¿½500 by the Sussex Church Builders.
In 1936 a dual-purpose building, now the church hall, was dedicated by the Bishop of Lewes, the dedication to All Saints being chosen by church members in a ballot in 1939. After the war, by the devotion and strenuous efforts of church members and the interest of Bishop George Bell, means were found to build the present church, which was consecrated by the Bishop on the 22nd of February 1956. It is a pleasant brick building, designed in a simple traditional style by the architect L. Keir Hett, light and harmoniously furnished largely by local craftsmen.
In the 1980's, when Findon was combined with Clapham and Patching, Findon Valley became a Conventional District with a priest-in-charge and achieved full parochial status, with a vicar, in December 1989.
The vision and dedication of its earliest members, some of whom are still regular communicants, enabled All Saints to become the flourishing church it now is. It maintains its early interest in mission, links with other churches and schools, and looks forward to developing further its contacts with the local community.
With acknowledgment to "Unity In A Common Purpose", a history of All Saints, Findon Valley by Ruth E. C. Holliss.
In 2006 Rita Ruhl completed her book "The Story of All Saints Church Findon Valley" and this has been published to celebrate the church's Golden Jubilee.
Copies may be obtained for £4.50 each by contacting the Church Office on 01903 873711.
In June 2010 the parish boundary of All Saints Findon Valley was extended to include the area of High Salvington. At the end of the year the little church of St Peters near to the famous Windmill became part of the parish and its wonderful, peaceful worship space is an asset to our life and witness.